You have been fitted with a new set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn two days full time, then 12 hours per day unless otherwise instructed.
Caring for your retainers:
- To clean your retainer, use Retainer Brite several times a week.
- For best results, use daily ￼with an ultrasonic cleaner following packaging instructions.
- Retainer Brite is available at www.smileshop.com or www.amazon.com.
- Brush daily with cold water and a liquid antibacterial dish soap (not toothpaste due to abrasiveness).
- Do not soak retainer in mouthwash as it will discolor the retainer and make brittle.
- Always keep retainers in the case when not being worn. Clean retainer case with warm soapy water.
- DO NOT wrap retainers in a napkin- they could get thrown away!
- Keep away from pets and small kids- they love them!
- Avoid excessive heat- retainers can warp!
- Remove retainers to eat or drink anything besides water (due to the sugars in all liquids).
Adjusting to your retainers:
- Practice your speech by reading or singing aloud.
- The fit of your appliance will improve with each day’s wear.
- Your mouth will produce more saliva at first. This will diminish when your mouth realizes your appliance is not food.
- Call if there is a sore spot and use warm salt water rinses to expedite healing.
Sometimes during our fitting process, we will trim small holes on the biting surfaces of your retainer in order to achieve the proper occlusion (bite). These small holes are perfectly fine and do not adversely affect your retention. If you notice a bigger hole or tear, please notify our office.
If your retainers become lost or damaged, call right away. It is important to refit you immediately, to lessen the chances of shifting that can result from missed retainer wear! (Additional charges may apply!) If you forget to wear your retainer for a night, wear it the next day or your teeth will move! This is a much easier option than wearing braces again! 🙂